December 17, 2010

What Dad Wants for Christmas

Santa Claus
North Pole
cc: mrs.claus@gmail.com

Dear Santa,

How's the North Pole? Cold? Got your tongue stuck to any poles lately? Sorry I couldn't attend your surprise birthday party that the elves threw earlier this year. I had every intention of attending but my wife wouldn't let me leave the house "looking like that," and by the time I found something suitable to wear I was caught in the middle of E!'s True Hollywood Story on "Saved by the Bell." Maybe next year.

Did you get my daughters' Christmas lists? We sent them extra early this year because I'm convinced you'll need additional time to round up their wish-list items. Then again, maybe you have plenty of ponies, light-up shoes and "I *HEART* Dad" t-shirts lying around the workshop. And before you say anything, no, I didn't tweak their lists before I mailed them. I swear. They asked for the ponies themselves.

It's not often I write you a letter on my behalf, but I finally found something I really, really want and I’m hoping you can assist. I know you've been generous to me over the years, leaving me video games, books, an obscene amount of Cincinnati Reds paraphernalia and a Joey Lawrence CD, which, color me crazy, may go down as the best album ever released on February 2, 1993.

But this time is different. I've never wanted something more in my life. I've been extra good all year, hoping you'd notice. And, if you deliver, I promise to never ask you for another gift. Seriously. I promise to stay on the Nice List the rest of my life. I promise to be a better person. I promise to never release those photos of that night when you did you-know-what with you-know-who over at you-know-where.

So what is it I want? I want a son.

That's right, a son. Not sure if you've heard, but we're expecting our third child in May (I know, crazy exciting right?). As you are aware, I currently have two beautiful, smart, funny princesses who grace your Nice List every year. Adding a third would be amazing—and I've certainly proved that I can put the toilet seat down (sometimes). But at the current rate of inflation, I've calculated that to raise three girls and marry them off it will cost me just over $100 gillion dollars. That's a lot of Joey Lawrence CDs.

But I also want a boy so I can experience a new challenge, a new journey. I want an opportunity to look at him and see flashbacks of myself when I was 5 and 7 and 14 years old. I want to be able to offer him wisdom and sage-like advice on topics ranging from peeing standing up to girls to on-base percentage. If it doesn't happen, I'll live. Honestly, once that baby comes out it won't matter. But for today—and this magical time of the year where we can ask for anything—I thought I'd ask.

So this Christmas, if you have a little extra mojo up your sleeve, please put a ding dong on that baby. And if you can't, I'll take a Nintendo Wii.

Thank you and Merry Christmas,
Brian
Ps- I heard your wife knitted you a Snuggie. You lucky dawg.

*****
* Subscribe to The Life of Dad via email or RSS feed!
* Also, follow me on Twitter @BrianKlems. I promise to occasionally say funny things.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yipppeeeee! way to make it work. impressive, bc i really would have thought you planned that way of announcing. genius.
heart, mel

kitchenandbathdesigner said...

Congratulations!!! I hope you get your wish :)

Robert Lee Brewer said...

Maybe this time I'll get the daughter, and you'll get the son.

Amanda said...

I have two of each, and all I can say is...(be careful what you wish for) er, I mean, boys or girls they're all a blessing. Good luck and congratulations!

Off to ponder Joey Lawrence...

Anonymous said...

if it's in the genes............good luck-we're rootin' for ya'!!

jennifer said...

no worries...if you have another girl...if you ever need a boy fix...you have 2 wonderful, handsome & sometimes-a-little-crazy nephews to hang with :) just like if i ever need a girl fix, i will just hang w my nieces ; )
although, i told you when brittany was pregnant w ella...2 girls & a boy...in that order. i am 2 for 2 so far ; )

Mary said...

Congratulations! I have a two year old son and he's amazingly wonderful. Next time (in several years!), I'd like a girl. Balance is always nice!