April 3, 2012

My Little 3 Year Old

Happy Birthday Ms. Anna Banana. It was three years ago today when your mother refused to admit she was in labor because she "had some loose ends to tie up at work," and I paced around frantically, not able to think about anything but your impending arrival. When you were born, you were this tiny little thing. But today, three years later, you woke up and greeted me with this conversation:

Anna: "Am I three now?"
Me: "Yes, yes you are. Happy birthday!"
Anna: "Does that mean I start preschool today?"
Me: "Not yet. But soon."
Anna: "OK."
Me: "Why don't you go potty."
I start to put the Sesame Street potty seat up on the toilet, but Anna throws up a hand and waves me off.
Anna: "Dad, I'm three. I don't need that anymore."

They all have to grow up sometime. You just wish it didn't happen so fast.


 To Anna: You are sweet, kind, adorable and smart—just like your dad. Stay that way. Always.

6 comments:

Cindy Dwyer said...

Beautiful picture and beautiful story.

When my daughter potty-trained she had a (thankfully short-lived) habit of showing off her "big girl underpants" to everyone. At the doctor's office, at the store...

Little girls take much pride in their accomplishments and in becoming big girls. Enjoy her!

WriterSideUp said...

Beautiful picture and beautiful story.

When my daughter potty-trained she had a (thankfully short-lived) habit of showing off her "big girl underpants" to everyone. At the doctor's office, at the store...

Little girls take much pride in their accomplishments and in becoming big girls. Enjoy her!

WriterSideUp said...

OK, that was weird! When I copied my message, it actually copied Cindy's! lol That's never happened to me before, but always have trouble logging in, soooo...

Anyway, it's hard to believe it's been 3 years since Anna was born. I've been following your blog practically since you started, Brian, and the years are flyin'!

This is adorable---as always! Yours is a blog I never skip when that email arrives :) I thank you for that and for sharing your "Wonderful Life" and beautiful family.

Happy 3rd Birthday, Anna!!!

Amy Morgan said...

don't blink Bob - before you know it they're 23 and you're wondering when did THAT happen? Can still clearly remember each one of the milestones of my son growing up - I love that you celebrate your children and ar recording it for them too with your blog! Happy Birthday to Anna!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Anna Banana! You and I share a fabulous day...only I'm 3 decades ahead of you and my dad is still a little sad to know I don't need a training seat anymore

jennifer said...

just saw this...love the picture! i remember the day clearly :) it's one of my 5 favorite days ever.