August 13, 2012

Why All Kids Need Musical Instruments

As many of you know, I’ve always been musically inclined. I learned to play a select list of Christmas songs on the piano when I was in grade school. I took to the guitar in high school, writing teenage angst songs that caused my mother to say to me, “I didn’t realize you knew so many big words! That high school English class is really paying off.” And now, in the twilight years of my rock-and-roll career, I’m a professional shower singer, belting out tunes that impress my wife—well, would impress my wife if my wife were impressed by the savory theme songs of classic 80s sitcoms (especially this one).

The musical genes are ingrained in my DNA, which means they are also ingrained in the DNA of my daughters, which is unfortunate for my wife. You see what I hear as beautiful music my wife mistakenly interprets as “super loud, obnoxious noise.” She claims it gives her things like “headaches” and “a reason to drink.” But to me, it’s an extension of what is right in the world.

You see, my kids are growing up way too fast. My oldest daughter is about to start kindergarten any day now. My middle daughter starts preschool in the fall. My youngest daughter is communicating using sign language, able to sign the words “more” and “please” and “I’m hiding my finger in a hole on my face and you have to guess which one.” (Hint: It’s her nose.)

Musical instruments bring music into the home and bridge the language barrier from kid to adult. They are something we can all play, even if not very well, so long as we’re willing to try and have some fun. That’s why I encourage it to great lengths. That’s also why I bring to you the very first video from the band Bring Back Balki Bartokomous (aka “4B”) called “We’re Making Noise.”

(Obviously they get their lyric-writing skills from me.)

Enjoy.


****** 
* Subscribe to The Life of Dad via email or RSS feed!  
* Also, follow me on Twitter @BrianKlems. I promise to occasionally say funny things. 
 

10 comments:

Juliann said...

If I'd had liquid in my mouth when I read "Balki Bartokomous," I would have sputtered. What a blast from the past.

Thanks for another chuckle.

Anonymous said...

What noise? Sounds like beautiful music to me!

Maria's Meandering Mind said...

all in its place and time. That was magic.

Woz said...

i want a signed copy of their EP when it's released.

signed,

balki's gal

Amarjeet Prasad said...

Hey....Great Blog


canadian hip hop record label
oh no mos def lyrics

rent musical instruments said...

If musical instruments are complete there a person's interest in music will be enhanced. His musical skills and passion will soar.

Michele said...

Can I hire you to babysit my son with a drum set?

Monica Carter Tagore said...

Oh, how cute!

They do grow up pretty fast, though when you're in the midst of sleepless nights you probably don't think so.

What a great way to capture those random moments of adorable, lovable action. Love the blog.

ergo carrier said...

Would you grant my family certain recommendation related to Ergo the baby bag? I wanted an individual along these lines. Do you consider has it been SO that will structure?

Countless users put to use any ERGObaby thus to their young people as soon as they have rather thicker together with says it all ergo baby carrier constructed a new for main difference. It is actually lauded mainly because perfect for lugging your little one despite the fact that engaging in a single thing with family members stuff that will currently taking any motor coach rv that will checking out museums.

A handful of reviewers uncovered the fact that while it is without question ergo baby rather relaxing for these people, quite often your ergo baby carrier sale young people would definitely be a piece distressing with the structure associated with the young child in front of everyone ınstead of released. Countless uncovered it had become crafted meant for older consumers, whilst others uncovered it had become more effective fitted to not as long clients.

With a weight during for fewer than 3 excess weight, any ERGObaby bag wouldn't add more extraneous largest part together with unwanted weight to your. This also has got huge solidity froth during the connectors to make sure that you won't produce extraneous difficulties. There's also similar froth during the waist belt meant for put in coziness. Users uncovered any ERGObaby the baby bag rather relaxing together with mention the quality of terrific help support. Any cover is regularly spoke of as the terrific offer. Countless insert the away at one time your the baby tumbles asleep, or simply during the heat up, together with mention they'll step all night together with have no complications.

Kudos considerably!

Unknown said...

Very clever and creative blog post. I really love families and I agree that kids should learn how to play instruments from a very young age. I feel it allows them to grow in so many aspects of life. The question is how do we get the money to buy the instruments. The musical instruments in San Francisco CA are very helpful with this problem.